Monday, November 24, 2014

Digital Daze

So lately I have been thoroughly intrigued by the digital side of art.  I have always loved to paint and draw, but now I am trying out the digital side of things.  I'm currently taking photography, a video class, and digital media class.  You'd be surprised to see how all three seem to walk hand in hand.  From Photoshop to Illustrator and Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro, I have had my hands full trying to become thoroughly acquainted with each, as quick as I can. To add to the excitement the first project in my digital media class was definitely my favorite "art" project I have ever done!! We were asked to make either a double sided card or  magazine.  After some arguing I was able to get the best of both worlds and make both a Christmas card and magazine cover but only one side of each. Here are the results:

My Christmas card turned out alright though I'm still not sure I love the colors. The photo was definitely part of why I loved the card so much.  It was one of my first attempts at the Bokeh effect.  I placed the Santa figurine on a piano bench to mirror the affect and spent about an hour and maybe a hundred photos trying to get the perfect photo. I was ecstatic when I found that I had succeeded. The bow was created by me in illustrator as well thanks to some brilliant tutorials created by my teacher.


As for my magazine...I LOVE IT!!!  So maybe to an experienced editor's eye it isn't perfect, but hey, for one of the first projects I have ever done, this is pretty impressive.  All the pictures were taken by me, so yes the cover shot is a selfie. If you look close you can even see my hands holding the camera in the irises.  The text in it of itself isn't that impressive either but I loved the look with the least amount of text so I went with it.  I nailed the color scheme!  I'll admit it, I am obsessed with gray and yellow and who doesn't love a bit of turquoise thrown in.  This was created with all adobe applications; mostly Photoshop and Illustrator, but a little Lightroom was used to edit the photos.

All in all I am excited to see what else I learn.  We're going into a sound segment next and later on 2D animation.  I have a little bit of previous experience in both but it will be fun to expand my horizons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment